My name is Kiara Alexander and I am the assistant station manager for WMBC, UMBC’s freeform radio station.You may know me from my (kind of) unsettling bubbliness towards life, soccer, Christmas and my extreme, but totally justified, adoration of Mr. Bublé. And even if you don’t know me, that’s how I know myself.
I’m kind of old when it comes to being a young person and since I could remember I have seen problems as challenges. And not even in the challenging way when you’re like “Aww man. I am so challenged and I wanna quit” but more in the, “I’m Ash Ketchum and these (Pokémon battles) challenges are my destiny”. So imagine my surprise when I found my life unfolding in a manner very different from Ash’s life. I am currently in between two states: stressed and very stressed. But do not fear for I am learning, as the title suggests, how to swim in this ocean of stress(with the help of Squirtle and other fictional characters).
HOW TO SWIM: (figuratively.) (I don’t know how to actually swim.)
- Look at the Stress ocean. Scoff at the Stress ocean
- Take a deep breath. Take several deep breaths
- Remember that people value your existence and want you to do well
- Make a to-do list. Really congratulate yourself when you complete something. It’s really cool that you did that one thing you planned to do!
- Cry to your mom. I love doing this and I recommend crying to anyone in your life who will see your tears and tell you how to fix your life.
- Get a hobby that you maintain. For example my main hobby right now is envisioning how my life would be if I met Kendrick Lamar. You may not see it as a hobby but for the amount of time I spend on it, I gotta call it something.
- Vent to your friends. Say, “Hey friend, I’m going through the struggle”. Hopefully your friend will say,”Sorry friend. Stay strong”.
- The most important of all: Remember why you’re doing what you’re doing. I love WMBC. I love doing radio. I love showing up to meetings and being our station manager’s hype man. I love hyping people up. So no matter how stressed I become I remember why I decided to run for an officer position.
- Start swimming in that Stress ocean and continue on towards Living My Life Like It’s Golden shore